Geography at King’s Seniors
· ‘Geog Soc’ is the department run Geography Club. It meets weekly and is open to all pupils. It produces its own pupil environmental newsletter ‘EcoEye’ and runs Fairtrade initiatives within King’s.
· The department also runs a biennial enrichment residential trip. In Easter 2018 this was to Iceland.
· The department runs 13 days of fieldwork every year.
· The department’s favourite rock is peridotite (basic igneous formed deep in subduction zones).
· Our favourite geographical word is pahoehoe (Hawaiian term for runny lava).
· One of the teaching staff in the department spent a month measuring proglacial stream chemistry on Haut D’Arolla glacier, Switzerland.